Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Far Far Away

Far Far AwayFar Far Away by Tom McNeal

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


Since I listened to the audio version of this book, I'm not sure if the excellent narration by Morgan W. Sheppard made me bump this to 5 stars or just the unique story.  The story is of young Jeremy Johnson Johnson, who hears voices.  And, not just any voice.  He hears the voice of the ghost of Jacob Grimm, one of the Brothers Grimm of fairy tale fame.  The ghost, as narrator, tells the tale of Jeremy and his friend Ginger Boultinghouse, who absolutely charms not only Jeremy but many other boys in town.  Jeremy is taunted by his peers for being so “other worldish,” but Ginger is intrigued by him, especially after she eats the magical “prince cakes,” and they become good friends.  After playing a trick on the jolly baker, Sten Blix, Jeremy is shunned even more by the people in the town of Never Better.  But, he and Ginger become even better friends.  I think this was the appeal of the story for me.  It combined the unique ghost as narrator, with some believable small town characters, and the shadow of Grimm fairy tales together in a haunting story with all the twists and turns of the Grimm tales.  Grade six to adult will love this book. 



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment