Monday, May 12, 2014

Curveball: the Year I Lost my Grip

Curveball: The Year I Lost My GripCurveball: The Year I Lost My Grip by Jordan Sonnenblick

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Jordan Sonnenblick is always an entertaining, but thought-provoking read, and Curveball was no exception.  Curveball take us into the life of Peter Friedman, a freshman in high school, who is a star pitcher for his baseball team until he injures his arm so badly that the doctors tell him he will never pitch again.  He is also an excellent photographer, thanks to his grandfather who has carefully taught him the tricks of the trade. When his grandfather gives him all of his professional photography equipment, he turns his attention to photography, but also worries about his grandfather.  Why would he give him his equipment?  He soon realizes his grandfather is suffering from early signs of Alzheimers, but his grandfather has told him not to tell his parents.  It is a heavy burden for him to carry, but he figures he can handle it.  Add to that a new girlfriend, who is also into photography, and a job on the school newspaper, and we see some real character growth in Peter during this freshman year, as he learns that keeping secrets is probably not a good idea. Middle School and above boys and girls should enjoy this book.




View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment